Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Live a Good Story



There's a story pinging back and forth on the internet about a woman who had been stranded on a desert island for 7 years. The story goes that a kid in Minnesota was browsing google earth and found her SOS message and she was rescued. What an amazing story! How wonderful.
 
Then I did a little research and found the whole story was a hoax. I turned to Dylan and said, "I can't believe it. That's so sad. Why can't it be true?" He looked at me and replied, "But dear. She never was even stranded in the first place." I sighed, "I know! But I wanted it to be true. Its so disappointing that the miracle didn't even happen."
Before I even finished that sentence  I started having one of those moments where life makes a little more sense.  Isn't a good story made up of difficult times and miracle moments? What if we viewed our lives as a story and lived with faith knowing that the current difficult time will only result in an incredibly epic ending?
To have that epic miracle and tell a good story, we must walk through the middle chapters, the mundane, the tough.  Only then will the ending be fulfilling. This is basic stuff. But for me, tonight, it made sense. I'm connecting dots. Making sense of the story I'm living.
I could spend hours writing up details on the miracles God has done for me. Here's one: Two weeks ago found us sitting in the tax office, preparing our taxes. Are you kidding me? We owe AGAIN? I thought we had fixed this so it wouldn't be a problem this year. Sigh. Fine. There goes the bit of buffer we've been saving.
Dylan looked at me and said, "Its going to be just fine. Don't worry." I was worrying. I do it well.
The office sound system changed songs. "Oceans" by Hillsong. In H & R Block? That is MY song. I only have 3 songs on my phone and I listen to Oceans either on my drive to or from work every single day. Its my anthem, a daily reminder of He who holds it all. As the song played, I looked down at my phone and saw that God was echoing Dylan's words. This is a screenshot.
 

And right then, that moment crossed in to the miracle moment zone. Instead of owing a couple grand, we actually are receiving money back. Now isn't that epic story telling? You have to admit that if we hadn't had that hour of disappointment, we wouldn't have noticed the  ending as the victory it was.
So. Don't get lost on an island for 7 years or anything. Just live a good story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment